Tuesday, June 10, 2014

So you say you want to give romance novels a try?

You've always wondered what all the fuss is about ro nos, right? I mean, the romance business is BOOMING. Of course you've always thought those books in the drug store were terrible and people reading them were airheads. But then you caught your boss reading something racy at lunch...and your doctor mentioned that she was tired from staying up half the night finishing a great ro no. And you're starting to wonder if everyone else knows something you don't know.

You're right. We do know something you don't know. There are some AWESOME ro nos out there in the world and you could be very happily reading them instead of watching TV, reading magazines, or sleeping (let's be honest, sometimes you just have to know what happens next). Whenever one of my lady friend shows even the most mild interest in reading a ro no, I quickly suggest my #1 go to book: Yours Until Dawn. It is great - interesting, sexy, well-written and hard to put down. If they like that, I suggest Lord of Scoundrels or the Last Hellion (probably the latter because I loved it so much I bought it and then I can just hand it over). At this point, they're likely hooked and I can steer them to the Regency post in this fine blog, or we can discuss how their tastes might diverge.

If my imaginary friend would like something modern, I suggest Bet Me. Something charming and old fashioned and sweet: The Secret. Something more sci fi/fantasy: the Fever series. If she would like something quite racy, I suggest some delicious Highlander books. Something racy AND sci fi/fantasy: the Black Dagger Brotherhood. If she wants something REALLY racy (hey, I don't judge!) I suggest Billionaire Bad Boys Club.

These are my go-tos to get people into the genre and hopefully they succeed. I love having more people to discuss ro nos with!

No comments:

Post a Comment